There are basically three classes of rust removers that are used for removing the rust and cleaning the metal fixtures and utensils. These are organic rust removers, conventional or commercial rust removers, and homemade rust removers. The most common of these is the conventional or commercial rust removing products that you can found in supermarkets and hardware stores.
The active ingredient that is used in this type of rust remover is the acid. The most common acid that is used in this type of remover is oxalic acid. This compound is considered the best for removing the rust from the metal products but the acid that is used in this type of remover is highly toxic.
Various uses of commercial rust removers:
The user of these kinds of compounds should be cautious while using them. The best idea to protect yourself while using this kind of compound is to wear goggles, rubber gloves, and a face mask before you start using this rust remover.
The ventilation should be proper in the area when you will be going to execute the rust removing treatment with the help of this kind of rust remover. These are best suitable for using indoors since it is a controlled environment.
It is not recommended that you use removal products outdoors since these leave residues that could adversely impact the environment. If mixed with the runoff water, the oxalic acid residue can also make the soil in your garden acidic and pose a threat to your ornamental plants.
You should use this kind of remover indoors where the dangerous and toxic fumes of this remover will not be emitted because these could be seriously harmful to you, for the environment, for your children and pets as well.
Using organic rust removers is a better option:
Because of these serious and injurious to health drawbacks, many rust remover manufacturers have started introducing organic rust removers. These kinds of removers are not that harmful to the environment as they will not produce residues that could pose a threat to the environment.
Another benefit of using these rust removers is that they will not emit the toxic fumes which means that it will not be harmful to the health of your children and pets. Organic removers are also ideal for both indoor and outdoor use. As far as consumers are concerned, their only disadvantage is the price. But if your budget allows it, organic removers are highly recommended for removing rust from metal fixtures and utensils.